This unassuming little manual breast pump is a game changer!
I initially heard about the Haakaa in NCT classes but didn’t actually buy it until Mr Small was about 2 months old – I definitely wished I’d done so earlier!
More of this in an upcoming ‘Handy Hacks’ post but once we were in a routine I was pumping in the evenings with my Haakaa, so that my other half could do the dream feed when we went to bed.
The Medela Swing electric pump is great BUT I had 2 issues with my own pumping schedule:
- I really wanted to build up a bit of a breast milk freezer supply for those evenings when I was tired and couldn’t get enough for the dream feed, or for when I wanted to go out and leave Mr Small for a few hours. I just wasn’t getting any excess in the evening pumping session and couldn’t even begin to think about when I could fit in another
- Some nights it was easy and quick and other nights I’d be sat on the sofa for 45 minutes feeling tired and depressed and struggling to get enough milk
The Haakaa completely changed this.
The way the Haakaa works is that you can just create a suction vacuum and let it do its job – no actual ‘pumping’ to be done. This meant that I could just attach the pump to one side when either Mr Small was feeding or I was using the Medela Swing on the other.
The results were:
- during the first feed of the day at 7am when my supply was at its best I could capture c. 70ml on the opposite side to where Mr Small was feeding. I used this milk to build a freezer supply and take the pressure of the evening pumping sessions
NOTE OF CAUTION: watch out for tiny flying limbs…. Spilt breastmilk is really something that you really can end up crying over.
- the duration of my evening pumping session was literally cut by 2/3rds! Not only could the Haakaa collect milk from the side that I wasn’t already pumping but also by stimulating both sides the Medela Swing seemed to be much quicker too.
The other added bonus of the Haakaa pump is that it’s so transportable and you can just pop in in your handbag…. Not something you initially think of as a key attribute of a breast pump but I used it in the most unlikely situations (under a well placed scarf or shawl)….
- in the back of a taxi on the way home from a wedding when I was feeling really engorged
- on a train when I was away from Mr Small for a day and a) needed to relieve my boobs and b) didn’t want to affect my supply by missing 2 feeds
OBVIOUSLY THE HAAKAA IS ALSO SILENT… which is fairly essential in the above situations! I would add that I didn’t collect as much milk with just the Haakaa by itself as I did using it while feeding or pumping with the Medela Swing but it absolutely fitted the bill when needed!
The Haakaa pump is available to purchase on Amazon, do let me know if you have any questions.
Some of the links in the above post may be ‘affiliate links’. This means that if you click on the link and purchase the item I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I personally use and believe will add value to my readers.