So, it is actually happening, I have officially resigned from my job and won’t be returning on a permanent contract at the end of maternity leave. This feels like such a huge decision and one that so many mothers end up facing.
I think one of the most stressful things is the sense of the unknown as there are so many moving parts…. Not knowing exactly where we’ll be living, so not being able to look at childcare options and therefore not being able to even start thinking about a job.
THAT IS ONE THING I AM CLEAR ON THOUGH…. I DO WANT TO DO SOMETHING.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE being on maternity leave and hanging out with this crazy little character but I think that long term the right thing for us is to have a balance of nursery and mummy time – this is a decision that has definitely come with time after being off work. What the next step is in terms of work though is completely open – which in its own way is exciting but also pretty scary!
With the lack of certainty I’ve decided not to beat myself up about committing to any decisions now but to work through the following in this order:
- move house (and know exactly which town/village we will be in)
- find childcare for around 3 days per week – ideally a nursery with lots of outdoors activities but I’m well aware that waiting lists even outside of London can be rather long…
- make some decisions about when/what work I can do around childcare and what Mr Small needs – how priorities have changed!
One of the main things to work out will be what sort of work I can do that will give me the flexibility I will need, so far I think my options are:
- Freelance in branding/design
- …Or part-time work in branding/design – but will it be possible to prove myself in a new company on reduced hours? I would hope so but it’s still daunting
- …Or take a bit of a career break and do something that fits around my family for as long as I need that flexibility
So there are a few different options opening up… it will be a few months before I know which path I’ll be going down but it definitely feels like things are starting to happen for the best…